Saturday, July 29, 2017

Invaluable Teacher

“… I  was motherless  in  most  of  the  early  years  of  my  childhood.  Thus  I  envied  my  friends  for  having mothers. But motherlessness was not the only problem I had. Actually I was better off when I was motherless. When my father remarried when I was five, I started to be traumatized by the constant arguments  that  my  father  and  my  new  mother  had. 

This  new  mother  had  a  daughter  from  her previous marriage and she brought the girl with her when she moved into our house. The girl was a  couple  of  years  older  than  I.  Thus  when  my  father remarried, I gained a new mother and a stepsister. Unfortunately  my  new  mother  did  not  care  for  me much.  Of  course,  I  cannot  blame  her  for  not  loving  me because,  in  those  days,  I  was  one  of  the  most uncontrollable  rascals  in  all  Japan. But  because  of  her exclusive  love  for  her own daughter,  there was constant fighting  between  siblings  and  constant  arguments between  parents.  So  my  father’s  second  marriage  lasted  only two years. When my father remarried when I was twelve, there  were again constant arguments between my father and my new mother. Thus when I was in junior high and high school, I  was really fed up with their arguments and with the institution  of marriage in general.

In those days I wondered why people  got married. I told myself many times that I should not marry no matter what might happen. That was my firm resolution.  (But later I got married. So, you know my firm resolution was not firm at all.) Since many miserable things happened in my childhood, I had a lot of self-pity. I thought that my father alone caused all of my misery. I thought that his selfishness was responsible for it. Thus I blamed my father alone. In my teenage years I started to hate him and my hate reached its climax in my high school days.

When I was in high school, I started to attend a Christian church. I attended it because a Christian teacher, who taught  me  in  junior  high  school,  deeply  impressed  me.  I  attended  a  church  of  which  he  was  a member. This new move of mine was probably caused by the unhappy and uneasy feeling I was experiencing in those days, although I was not aware of it at that time. When this Christian teacher was teaching us in junior high school, he always encouraged us to read classics. He often told us, “Don’t read best sellers of our time! Those books may be popular now, but  in  a  couple  of  years  people  will  not  pay  any  attention  to them. Read those  books that have been proven by time.” He even made a list of the books he recommended to us.

Because of his  influence,  I  started  to  read  books  in  high  school. When I  read  a  book of  one  hundred  short stories selected by Somerset Maugham, I was deeply moved by “The Death of Ivan Ilych,” a story written by Leo Tolstoy. Thus when I started to attend a Christian church, I started to read Tolstoy, particularly his religious writings. After graduating from high school, since I was totally enchanted by Tolstoy, I went to Tokyo to study Russian in college. Then on one of my college days when I was a senior, I happened to pick up a commentary on Faust,  written  by  Shuichi  Maida.  I  had  never  heard  of  Maida.  But when I  read  the  book,  I was deeply moved by what he said in the book. Maida was a Buddhist and was commenting on Faust from a Buddhist point of view. Through Maida I became interested in Buddhism.

After I started to study Christianity and Buddhism, my view of my father gradually changed. Because of the teachings I received from the two religions, my hate toward him gradually turned into compassion. Before I studied religion, I had a lot of self-pity and I thought that I alone was an unfortunate victim. But I gradually started to think that my father was also a victim of unfortunate circumstances. Of course, I never doubted that my father was responsible  for his divorces. But I realized  that  there  were  many  other  conditions  that  contributed. 

For  example,  my  grandparents lived  with us. Since my father was the oldest son, he  had to live with  his parents. (In  Japan the oldest  son  usually  takes  care  of  his parents.) Although  my grandfather was a  loving  person,  my
grandmother was one of the most difficult persons in the world. She was the only daughter of the Haneda  family,  one  of  the  wealthiest  families  in  the  city. Since  she  was  an  only  daughter,  my grandfather was adopted into the Haneda family. My grandmother always had a couple of maids. She was a totally spoiled and selfish person. In this family situation, any woman who married my father had to have a hard time with her mother-in-law, who lived in the same house. To make matters worse, my father’s three sisters, my three aunts,  lived  near our house. In  Japan  sisters-in-laws or brothers-in-laws are usually said to cause all kinds of problems for a newlywed wife. (They are called “small mean in-laws” in Japan.) Thus, for my father’s wives, these three sisters-in-law did not make the situation any easier.

In this way I gradually gained insight into the difficult circumstances that caused my father’s divorces. I realized that my father was not the only cause. There were many other causes. In  the  Tannisho Shinran  says,  “If  certain  conditions  arise,  I  could  do  all  kinds  of  things.” When I read these words, I thought they were true. I thought, “Yes,  if I had been  in my father’s shoes, I would have done the same thing; I would have had no choice but to get a divorce. Am I any better than my father? Who am I to judge him? All human actions are caused by conditions. All human beings are weak and fallible.” Thinking this way, largely because of the teachings of Christianity and Buddhism, I gradually stopped blaming my father as the only cause of my unhappiness. I started to feel compassion or commiseration toward him. That was my second view of my father.

Four years ago while I was visiting Japan, my father passed away. It was as if he had waited until I arrived to die. At that time my father had all kinds of physical problems. He was just lying in bed. He could not speak. Since he could not eat anything by himself, somebody had to feed him. During the last week of his life I was by  his bedside and was feeding  him. Although he could  not speak, he could  hear and understand  what  others  were  saying.  He  looked  deeply  depressed.  He  never  smiled.  He  did  not show any warm feeling toward anyone at all. My father had nothing  but hate toward religion throughout his  life. When I started to attend the Christian church in my high school days, he tried to dissuade me from attending it.

Even now I can remember how he, with tears in his eyes, attempted to tell me that I, a young man, should not be  influenced  by  a  narrow  dogma.  After  I  started  to  study  Buddhism,  he  often  told  me  that  he could not understand why I was studying it. For him all religions were nothing but superstition.

When my father passed away, I thought about all the things that had happened between him and  me. I  reflected  upon  what  my  father  meant  in  my  life.  Then,  I  could  not  help  feeling  deep gratitude toward him. All the sad and unfortunate things that had happened in my life—those things that I had hated and deplored—became objects of my gratitude. The fact that he had a couple of divorces became an  object  of  my  gratitude.  The  fact  that  he  had  constant  arguments  with  his  wives  became  an object of my gratitude. The fact that he criticized my interest in religion became an object of my gratitude. Even the way he died, deeply depressed without having any warm feeling toward others including me, became an object of my gratitude. 

I thought all these things were indispensable conditions for my life. All the things that he did or  did  not  do  were  powerful  and  valuable  teachings  for  me.  Without  them  I  would  not  have become interested in Christianity and Buddhism. I totally owe to him what I am today. Buddhist  teachers  often  teach  us  that  if  we  truly  understand  the  Dharma,  we  come  to appreciate all people. We come to think that all the people that we have  loved, hated, respected, and despised in our lives are actually teachers (or Buddhas) in disguise; they are appearing before us to guide us to the Dharma. I thought of the truthfulness of this teaching.

In  Buddhist  seminars  I  have  often  heard  Buddhist  women  talking  about  spiritual transformations they experienced because of their difficult relationships with their mothers-in-law. Those women said that they had tremendous difficulties with their in-laws. They often considered them  “mean  devils”  and  even  wished  to  kill  them.  But  when  they  gained  deep  insight  into  the Dharma, they  said that their difficult experiences  with their  in-laws enabled them to turn toward the Dharma and to appreciate it. They said that they owed their happiness at meeting the Dharma to  the  difficult  experiences  they  had  had  with  their  in-laws.  They  said  that  their  in-laws  were actually Buddhas in disguise that appeared in this world to guide them to the Dharma.

I  recently  watched  a  Japanese  television  program  about  a  man  whose  twelve-year-old  son committed  suicide.  His  son  was  abused  by  his  classmates  and  killed  himself.  After  his  son committed  suicide,  the  man  felt  tremendous  agony.  He  could  not  do  anything.  He  just  kept  on
asking “Why?” and blaming himself and his son’s classmates, who had abused him. But  this  agony  eventually  led  him  to  Buddhism.  By  gradually  gaining  insight  into  the Dharma, he  regained  his power to  live.

Now he  is  a  totally changed person. He hosts  a  hot  line program for abused children. He receives many telephone calls from children who are thinking of committing suicide. Some of those children even  visit  his  house and stay with  him. In this way, although he lost his own son, he has gained many new sons and daughters throughout Japan. The  man  says  that  thanks  to  the  difficult  experience  he  had,  he  has  been  liberated  into  a wonderful world. He says that the thick shell of his ego was shattered and he was liberated into a wider world. Now he  says that his  son was actually a Buddha in disguise;  his son  appeared and died in this world to guide him to the Dharma. Buddhism  teaches  us that  we  are  liberated  by  the  Buddha’s  wisdom,  by  a  perspective  through which we see all things in a totally new way.

First, I saw my father as  an  object  of  my  hate.  At that time  I was standing  above  him and was  judging  him.  I was an innocent victim and was looking down on him and criticizing him. Second, I saw him as an object of my compassion. At that time, I no longer stood above him. I saw myself standing on the same level  with  him.  I  identified  with  him  because  I  discovered  in  myself  the  same  weakness  and fallibility. Third, now, I cannot help thinking of him with a deep sense of gratitude. Now I look up to him as a Buddha who guided me to the Dharma. All the things he did or did not do have been invaluable teachings for me. He was and is an invaluable teacher…”

~ Dr. Nobuo Haneda, a Japanese-born Buddhist scholar, translator, and teacher, Dr. Nobuo Haneda is the Director of the Maida Institute for Buddhism in Berkeley, California, which was founded to promote the teachings of Shūichi Maida (1906-1967), one of the most influential Shin Buddhist teachers of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment